Visio & AutoCAD
There are a lot of Visio users out there, and not all of them use Visio in conjuction with AutoCAD. But for those who do; Boy! Do they use AutoCAD!! And when there’s a problem using them in conjunction with each other; Boy! Is there a problem!!
This page will try to bring together as many resources regarding Visio and AutoCAD issues as is humanly possible. I’ll keep updating it as new information comes in, so check back from time to time!
On a positive note, it looks like the AutoCAD compatibility in Visio 2007 is vastly improved! One of the experts on the subject has informed me that beta 2 of Visio 12 has solved many of the issues from previous versions of Visio.
Visio supports importing and exporting DWG and DXF files up to AutoCAD 2000 (R15) formats. For newer files, you’ll need to save them back to the 2000 format before working with Visio.
Importing, Exporting & ConvertingÂ
- Round Tripping AutoCAD (DWG) files in Visio 2003
- (in)Compatibility between AutoCAD and Visio, Part II
- (in)Compatibility between AutoCAD and Visio
Adam Stone, chief of d-Tools, Inc has been struggling and researching these issues for years. He has written three papers on the subject, which are probably the best and most thorough treatments of the subject.
- Converting Microsoft Visio to AutoDesk AutoCAD
ABR Consulting has a short article on the subject, although it looks like it’s a bit old, perhaps from the 2001 time-frame.
- CAD Integration in Visio
A post from the Visio Insights blog, straight from theÂ Microsoft team. This article describes features and scenarios regarding Visio and AutoCAD files. The author has promised a second article, coming soon!
- Visio History
From John Marshall’s web site. Visio has supported importing and exporting of AutoCAD .dwg and .dxf files since Visio 5, ca: 1998. And John knows all the details! Search for CAD to find info about which features were implemented with which versions of Visio.
- About working with CAD drawings in Visio
General info from the Microsoft Office website.
Bugs & “Issues”
- “Error–buffer overrun” and “Runtime Error!” error messages when you open a Visio 2002 or CAD drawing file
Microsoft Knowledge-base article #307705
- “Error 1415: Visio is unable to edit the Unknown object” error message when you edit an embedded AutoCad (CAD) object in Visio 2002
Microsoft Knowledge-base article #290895