" /> Visio Guy » Spiral Shape Maker
Home » Shapes, Tools

Spiral Shape Maker

Submitted by on October 19, 2006 – 9:33 pm | | 38226 views 19 Comments

Ever need a spiral shape? I just found one buried on my hard-drive — something I whipped up years ago, and modified last year. You can download it here.

The download consists of one Visio drawing file (.vsd). This file contains VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) macro-code that generates the spirals. You’ll need to allow this code to run in order to create spirals.

The macro-security setting is located under Tools > Macros > Security… If your security setting is Very High, then the macros will be disabled automatically. If it’s set to High, then you’ll get a warning that the macros have been disabled. A setting of Medium allows you to allow or disallow the macros when you open the document. This is the setting that I always use.

See: VBA Macro Security for more information on Visio, VBA and code inside of documents.

After you open the file, you’ll see a bunch of funny looking arrow shapes. You can select one of these arrow shapes, and type any kind of valid Visio ShapeSheet expression. Since this is the number of spirals that will be generated, you usually just need to enter a number. But if you’re familiar with Visio’s ShapeSheet, you can enter an expression like: 4 + Sin(35deg) – 8^2. Weird, eh?

Check out: Evaluate Shape Text With EvalText for more information on how evaluation of text works.

Spiral Maker Examples

Once you’ve entered the expression, exit text-edit mode by clicking a blank area on the page, or by hitting the Esc key. Now right-click the arrow shape and choose the Generate Spirals from the context menu.

Note: that the spiral will be generated at the tip of the arrow, and if there was already a spiral there before, then the new spiral will be drawn over the old one — you might think that nothing happened at all!

Of course, you can check out the code that makes this all happen by opening up the VBA editor. The quickest way to see it is to press Alt + F11. But you can also get there via Tools > Macros > Visual Basic Editor…

Happy spiraling!

Note: the download contains two files, one saved in Visio 2002 format, the other in Visio 2003 format. So users of Visio 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 and possibly 5 should be able to use this tool!

Visio Spiral Shape Maker (Visio 2002 & 2003) (177.01 KB) - 3128

• Lewis Graham says:

Thanks for this application. I am writing my Master’s dissertation and needed a spiral! It works well – just what I needed.

Kind regards

• Paul Alliott says:

I am trying to do a spiral model as part of my post graduate studies and have downloaded the above file but inly have visio2002. Is it possible to send a visio2002 version of the shape maker template?

Hey Paul,

Greetings from Hong Kong — a thoroughly wired city. Check the end of the article again, I’ve uploaded “Download Sprial 2002.zip (57 kb)” for you. Hopefully this will work — and tell your fellow grad-students that the Visio Guy delivered from China! ;)

- Chris

• Benno Mueller says:

Works like charm!

Thanks,
    Benno.

• Ravi says:

You are just gr8!

• Andy Jaxon says:

Thanks so much for this – you’ve saved me at least an hour’s work on my assignment tonight!!
    It’s people like you that make the internet such a powerful thing..
    Keep it up.
    AJ

• Laura says:

how to do it clockwise !!

Hi Laura,

Try flipping it horizontally or vertically (Ctrl+H or Ctrl+J)

• Laura says:

thanks a lot. it works !!

Note: I Just updated the download to include Visio 2002 and Visio 2003 versions in one nifty package!

• David says:

The file you point us to for the spiral generator code is no longer present at that location. Can you update that link for us?

Thanks.

Thanks David,

The link’s been removed The download link at the end of the article is still good.

- Chris

• David J Hamilton says:

Thank you so much…you saved me tons of time, and I have a perfect figure!
    :) DH

• Stephen says:

I need a Euler spiral. Any chance your would make one of those?!
    Wikipedia: Euler Spiral (Spiros, Clothoids or Cornu Spirals)

Thanks
    Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Do you need single or double? Which parameters would you want to enter?

• Thilo says:

Hello,

i have Visio 2010 and if i try to generate more than 80 turns it gives me a runtime error.
    Is there a workaround to solve this problem?

Greets
    Thilo

Hi Thilo,

As far as I can tell, it is a limitation of the DrawSpline method.

If you don’t mind digging into the VBA, you can play with two lines in this procedure:

Public Sub Spiral(shpLaunch As Visio.Shape, dNumRevs As Double)
              ...
              ...
         End Sub

Reduce the number from 50 for this line:

Const PTS_PER_REV% = 50

Change this line:

Set shpSpiral = shpLaunch.ContainingPage.DrawSpline(pts, TOLERANCE#, visSplinePeriodic)

to this line:

Set shpSpiral = shpLaunch.ContainingPage.DrawSpline(pts, TOLERANCE#, visSplineAbrupt + visSplinePeriodic)

I was able to reduce the points to 30 per revolution and get 135 spins. However the result is not as smooth.

• Thilo says:

I’ve changed as you wrote but with Const PTS_PER_REV% = 10 so i get max. 409 turns.
    Then i set the line rounding to 100 inch to smooth the lines an delete the last line point.

Thanks from germany
    Thilo

Super tipp!

Nichts zu danken, aus München.