" /> Visio Guy » Map of Europe
Home » Drawings & Templates, Maps & Geography, Shapes

Map of Europe

Submitted by on September 3, 2006 – 8:17 am | | 123339 views 23 Comments

Every once in a while, folks ask about map shapes in Visio. Does Visio have countries and continents? Yes? Well, where on earth (pun intended) are they?

Visio has had map shapes for a long time, but it has become increasingly difficult to find them. First, some of the shapes got moved into the shape database. That means they are no longer in a stencil, but must be found by running a Shape Search. And we all know that search can be less than perfect at times.

Second, the politicians and lawyers got involved. It seems that a few countries are having border disputes. And if poor Microsoft tries to sell anything in these countries that depicts borders not to their liking, they might end up getting sued. Hey, we just want to get our diagrams done!

So I’ve found an old .vsd of Europe that I made before these “issues” arose. I’ve added a few features that you might find useful or interesting:

• Nicer colors and formatting
  • Text centered more appropriately on country shape
  • Text field on each shape that shows the name (of the master)
  • Put a silly grid on a background layer to give it that special “map feeling”
    (Layer name = Grid, which is locked. Go to View > Layer Properties… to unlock)
  • Removed some of the graphically unappealing portions of Norway and Russia.

Perhaps this will allow some of you to find the shapes that you want more easily.

To help the folks out in search land, this drawing contains Visio shapes of the following countries:

EN: Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Belarus, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, FYROM, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom

DE: Albanien, Österreich, Belgien, Bosnien und Herzegovina, Bulgarien, Weißrußland, Kroatien, Zypern, Tschechische Republik, Dänemark, Estland, Finnland, Frankreich, Deutschland, Griechenland, Island, Irland, Italien, Ungarn, Lettland, Litauen, Luxemburg, Ehem. jugoslaw. Rep. Mazedonien, Moldawien, Niederlande, Norwegen, Polen, Rumänien, Serbien, Rußland, Slowakische Rep., Slovenien, Spanien, Schweden, Schweiz, Türkei, Großbritannien

Visio Map of Europe (725.8 kB) - 4790

• Chris Roth says:

Just found this link that gives more details about the history of map shapes in Visio, and some tips on how to search for them.

1:15 AM

• anonymous says:

Way kewl post, Chris. Glad you launched the blog – Good idea :-)

– Barb

• anonymous says:

Thank you very much. I had some trouble getting Visio to line the shapes up autoamtically when I tried to create my own, and the country names, etc… are a great addition. This has saved me a lot of work.

DJG

• [...] Ola Visio Amigos! Following on the heels of the Map of Europe and the Map of North America, this week brings us a map of South & Central America, that you can download here. Some of the islands of the Carribean are also included.  [...]

• [...] Nia hao ma and g’day folks! This week, we’ve got a Map of Asia & Australia for you to download. This complements the Map of North America, Map of Europe, and Map of Central & South America that we’ve offered you earlier. [...]

• Is it public domain and free to use?

I would love to upload it to my site, so everyone in Denmark can benefit from it.

Hi KortX,

You can link to this site from yours, then anyone can download the maps!

• Kyle says:

Good day,

What version of Visio is the map in. I cant open it due to the verison

Hi Kyle,

They’re all in Visio 2003 format. Sorry that you’ve had problems.

• Eric says:

Thank you for this great work.

I’ve got a problem to make a good diagram for explaining system arch. for European countries but I could make it much nicer using this.

Again, thanks.

• [...] few weeks ago, I uploaded the map of Europe Visio diagram. This file provided convenient access to all the shapes of Europe, all neatly [...]

• Bob says:

Thanks for these great maps. I have been using them with Color by value, but, bizarrely, the shape for Norway changes the line colour but not the fill colour. Any ideas why this might be? I have looked at the ShapeSheet, but can’t see an obvious difference between the Norway one and the other countries.

Hi Bob,

I just tried out the Color by Value stuff and it worked for my Norway.

I did, however, notice that I’ve left the German names of the countries in the Shape Data field called “Name”. I don’t think this would screw you up, though.

• Bob says:

Thanks for the response. I have been having lots of fun with the maps, they’re great, but am having to work around the Norway problem. I’ll try a download and start again at some point. I have quite a range of custom properties for the maps I’ve made now. Very cool!

• [...] Map of Europe (6234) [...]

• Jeanmarie says:

Hey there! . Happy Thanksgiving! .! :) :) :) :)
    Thanksgiving is 1 of my favorite holidays, and every year I like to get into the mood-extend the holiday, as it were-by reading “Thanksgiving novels.” Of course, all these stories are mostly about family and friends, about coming together to heal old hurts and showing thanks for the gift of love. .. .. ##
    Are You Currently Better Off These days Than You Were 10 Years Ago?

• sjefm says:

I’m working with VISIO 2000 are you able to post a European map in an older version of VISIO.

Thanks for the effort

Hi sjefm,

Try the download now. It contains two versions: one saved for Visio 2003/2007/2010, the other saved for Visio 2000/2002. Hopefully that will work!

More info on Visio file formats: Visio File Formats

• [...] Visio Guy » Map of Europe – Visio Guy – Download a map of the Europe, with nicely formatted and labeled shapes. [...]

• weight loss programs says:

Hello, I check your new stuff on a regular basis. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep it
    up!

• After going over a handful of the blog posts on your web site, I truly like your technique
    of writing a blog. I book-marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back
    in the near future. Please visit my website too and
    let me know what you think.

• Hey! I understand this is kind of off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does managing a well-established website like yours require a massive amount work?
    I’m brand new to writing a blog however I do
    write in my journal on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience and feelings
    online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for
    brand new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

• Hi, after reading this awesome paragraph i
    am also happy to share my familiarity here with colleagues.