for canadian solar
Two things: computer graphics and environmental technology.
After many years deeply involved with the first item, it is time to tackle the second.
Smart, technical, artistic, creative.
Care deeply about cleaning up the world and using humanity’s brains to get out of this jam.
I have a mind for the technical, but
Manager of All Trades
Awards & Accomplishments
It’s good to challenge yourself and nice to be appreciated!
- Authored Using Microsoft Visio 2010
- Microsoft Visio Most Valuable Professional (MVP) 2002 – present
- Voted Best Speaker, Microsoft Visio Conferences 2007, 2008
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington
Providing customers with innovative graphical solutions for visualizing their data.
- d-Tools Corporation – Application Engineer
- Data Assist (now OneAssist) – Application Engineer
- Visio Corporation (acquired by Microsoft Corporation)
- Application Engineer
- Technology Evangelist & Consultant
- Forum administrator and moderator Visio Guy Forum
- Entrepreneur Gumroad Products Page
- Independent Contractor & Consultant – Visio Guy
- Web and Forum Administrator – Visio Guy
- Book Author – QUE Publishing – Using Microsoft Visio 2010
- Application Engineer – Data Assist e.K.
- Consultant – Visio Corporation
- Technology Evangelist – Visio Corporation
- Application Engineer – Visio Corporation
- Tutor for Physics and Calculus – University of Washington Department of Athletics
- Civil Engineering Intern – Port of Tacoma
- Physics Lecture Note-taker – University of Washington
Education & Training
- BS Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington
- Certified Toastmaster
- Certificate in Software Product Management
- Dabble in online learning courses.
Things I do professionally:
- Attract and manage customers
- C#, VB.NET and VB/VBA.
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Office
- One of foremost ShapeSheet experts in the world. The ShapeSheet is an Excel-like spreadsheet interface that can be used to add intelligent behavior to graphical elements in the Visio application.
- TypeScript, HTML, CSS
- Writing/Authoring (book, blog, etc.)
- Communicating with customers.
- Speaking and Presenting
- Prototyping and Conceptualizing
- Ability to understand and talk about technology
- Programming: C#, VB.NET, TypeScript, WPF, XAML, d3.js
- Web: WordPress, SMF forum, some PHP
- Microsoft Office, Visio (!)
- Working remotely with disjointed teams
- German – fluent
Author: Using Microsoft Visio 2010. Que Publishing, June 2011.
[image of book?]
Customers include: Cisco, Corning, d-Tools, Intallypy, Marathon Petroleum, Sandia National Labs, University of New South Wales, and Xilinx.
Accomplishments and Projects
I read daily about green technology and sustainable energy developments and issues.
ESME Ad-campaigns. These really need explanation…
Big band, orchestra
Drawing, artwork, creative blah blah
I do my part to fill up the internet with content. Here are some of the places where I contribute:
- Experts Exchange – My Contributions
- Facebook – Visio Guy
- Facebook – Good Morning Guy
- GitHub – My repos and projects
- jsFiddle – My code snippets and experiments
- Twitter – Visio Guy
- YouTube – Visio Guy – Main Channel
- YouTube – Visio Guy – Using Visio 2010
- Visio Guy Blog – Expert Articles
- Visio Guy Discussion Forum – Visio Guy Forum – My Posts
I like to exercise my creativity whenever I get some free time. This typically involves drawing, along with some humor or satire. Below is a list of image galleries, code repositories and other content buckets that I’ve produced over the years.
TODO: big band, orchestra, Pullach
Have a look, and enjoy!
- View all images from my Visio Guy website. Most of these were created by me!
- Good Morning Facebook page
My side endeavor to fiddle with photography, while spreading a bit of cheer and positive energy!
- Baby coaster ABC-123s
A set of letters and numbers with unique designs that I created to teach our daughter the ABCs and 123s.
- Dad-isms cartoons
Humorous cartoons that bring the silly sayings of my Dad and Grandpa to life…in unexpected ways!
- Hand-drawn Christmas cards
Back in high school and university, I apparently had free time to draw Christmas cards every winter!
- ESME Concert Ad campaign
I like to make my own personal “ad campaigns” for our amateur orchestra’s seasonal concerts.
- Illustrations & Images from my Visio Guy website
Google’s site + image search shows the thumbnails and illustrations I have created for my expert website. It’s interesting to scroll through the results and wonder how I had the time to create all of this stuff!
[TODO: Add some thumbnails to this page.]
Work is only part of the story:
- Musician – I actively participate in the ESME Orchestra and Big Band as a trombonist. As a performing musician, one is always preparing for the next big show, listening to others, and working as part of one big team.
- World Trip – We spent 2007 traveling in the U.S., New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong and Austria.
- Husband and Father